Click to Return to Home Page
     A B C D E F G H J K L M N P R S T W Y
Pace, James 1778-1814
Pace, James 1811-1888
Palmer, Clara Dunn -1935
Parkinson, Raymond B 1921-2001
Patrick, Elizabeth 1793-1880
Pickford, Naomi 1918-2000
Elizabeth Patrick (1793-1880)
Elizabeth Patrick (1793-1880)

Elizabeth was born 9 December 1793 in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, the third daughter and seventh child of John Patrick and Sarah Kendrick. (The Patricks were of Scotch-Irish background. ) Elizabeth, when grown, was five feet eight inches tall, with sandy hair and blue eyes. Born and residing in Virginia much of her younger life, she then moved with her family to Halifax County, North Carolina, then back to Virginia, then to Kentucky by 1802.

The Patrick family lived on a plantation and had quite a number of slaves. Elizabeth was raised in a life of leisure as a "plantation belle" in Virginia and North Carolina. When she with her family arrived in Kentucky by 1802, she was nine years old. They settled on land between Richardsville on the north and Bowling Green to the south on Ray's Branch (eight miles west of Bowling Green, Warren County) She was involved with her family in pioneering the new frontier of Kentucky and had to have developed values and skills that strengthened her throughout her life.

This compilation of her story is a testament and living proof of her love of God and unconditional love for all. She valued, loved and lived the teachings of the scriptures. Her demonstration of meekness and devotion to God, family, neighbors and country, meant more to her than the material things of life. She had a great love for and devotion to her husband and 14 children. She taught them, and all who knew her, the values she treasured. Her example and teachings blessed their lives for the influencing of the communities wherever they settled. She had skills of organization, farming, sewing, teaching, love of children. She was involved in the religious activities taken on by those who belonged to the Church and encouraging others to do the same. To sum it up, she was a true mother.

Elizabeth Patrick met William Taylor, who was a strong young man over six feet tall and very proounced in his views as a Democrat. He was well acquainted with the Bible, as was she. They fell in love and were married at age 18 and 24, respectively, on 22 March 1811 at Warren County, Kentucky (Probably at the Taylor family cabin). They were married by a Baptist minister friend, Robert Daugherty.

Elizabeth was very happy in her home. Her husband was a good man who worked hard at farming and had the important position of responsibility for the Warren County roads. He provided well for his family and along with Elizabeth taught their children to love the Bible and live by its teachings. She was saddened by the death of her father, John Patrick, in November of 1816. Then on 22 March 1818 she gave birth to her fourth child the same day that her husband's father, Joseph Taylor, passed away. A day of joy and sadness for their family. Later, in Joseph Taylor's will, William received 92 acres of the western portion of his father's property. His brothers Allen and Joseph also received 92 acres each. The next twelve years were busy ones raising and caring for their growing family.

A big decision was made in 1831. Elizabeth's husband desired to move to Missouri along with her brother Ludson Green Patrick and his wife, Magdalene Bellar, her sister, Nancy Patrick Turner and her husband Levi Turner. Elizabeth and William had II children at this time with the youngest, Levi, being 7 months old. In the spring of that year all these families, including Elizabeth's mother, Sarah, settled in a new county called Monroe County, near the Salt River. This part of Missouri then was a wilderness, inhabited by the Indians and numerous wild animals. It was a country consisting of prairie and timber land. William thought it was the most beautiful country he had ever seen. By 1835 she and William had gradually accumulated land of 160 acres by the south fork of the Salt River. It was while living here that missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints taught William and his family (probably in the spring of 1832). William always thought himself to be the first member of the Church in the state of Missouri. He was baptized after hearing only one sermon (Taylor, P. G., P.I). He, Elizabeth and their oldest seven children who were old enough were baptized--the oldest, John about 20 years old, down to Sarah, age about 9. Both William and Elizabeth's families, especially Ludson Green Patrick, tried to discourage them from joining. They didn't let this stop them from doing what they thought was right. They were anxious to share the good news of the truth with others and were involved actively in the Salt River (Bowling Green) Branch. Four of the oldest children were married and a new daughter was born while living here during the years of 1832-34. Surely this was a very busy and happy period of time in the Taylor family.

A group of Latter Day Saints in Jackson County, Missouri were being driven out because of persecutions from the old settlers due to land speculation and distrust. Joseph Smith organized men into a "Zion's Camp" to go there and give these saints aid. In June 1834, Joseph Smith sent his brother Hyrum and Lyman Wight to get volunteers from the Salt River Branch. Ten men responded, Elizabeth and William's oldest son John, two sons-in-law, Robert McCord and Isaac Allred, and Isaac's father James Allred. This was a time of great faith, support, and caring for the Taylor family as well as others of their faith. Elizabeth was always supportive, especially to her 15 year old daughter, Mary Ann, at this time, for she was a bride of less than a month to Robert McCord when he left, and then when the family received news that Robert had died of cholera on that Zion's Camp march.

On 13 October 1835 William and Elizabeth, along with James and Elizabeth Allred and several other families, sold their land to William Cowherd. William Taylor received $800 for his 160 acres. The Taylor and Allred families then moved west to Ray County, Missouri, on the Fishing River, right on the border between Ray and Caldwell Counties. William bought 40 acres on 23 February 1836 and another 132 acres on 20 June 1836. He then sold part of the property 9 December 1836 (22 acres) and the rest of the property on 30 June 1837. It was while they lived here that Elizabeth gave birth to their 14th and last child, a son named James Caldwell Taylor on 27 February 1837. A total of seven sons and seven daughters now graced the Taylor family. In large families the love and bonding to each member are important. This is brought about by older children assisting the parents with the younger ones along with the organizational skills of a loving mother and protective, supporting action of a kind father. This develops their ability to solve problems together. The result of this is trust and faith in each other. The Taylor family was blessed in this way.

The Latter Day Saints were once again compelled to leave their homes and lands. They left Clay and Ray Counties and moved to the two new counties created for them by the Missouri legislature on 29 December 1836. It was through the instrumentality of Alexander Doniphan, an attorney, state legislator, and true friend to the Saints. In August 1837 William and Elizabeth and family relocated again on 80 acres of land on Long Creek, which was eight miles south of the town of Far West in Caldwell County. Elizabeth and her husband and family worked hard to develop their land and must have felt happiness and peace, hoping that this was finally the place for their home.

There was great excitement and anticipation for the Taylor family and the other saints on 4 July 1838 at Far West. The laying of the cornerstone of the temple at Far West was to take place. A great celebration was planned. All the Taylor family was in attendance. All went well till Sidney Rigdon gave a speech that really angered the old-time settlers of Missouri. Thus the stage was set for the frightful conflict and terrible loss of life and property that followed.

The mobs and Missouri militia grew more bitter and intolerant. They wanted the Mormons out of the state of Missouri! Finally Governor Lilburn Boggs was persuaded to issue an Extermination Order to carry this out. The Prophet Joseph Smith warned the outlying settlements to move into Far West. William and Elizabeth were obedient to his request. They left their small farm on Long Creek and moved into the city in the late fall of 1838. Overcrowding, lack of accommodations, shortage of food and the approach of winter all contributed to terrible living conditions.

While living in Far West, the Taylors "had to camp in the streets. Many families were sharing the cabins. So many of the Saints had gathered there to escape mob violence that shelter could not be obtained. Since they arrived there at night, they made their beds upon the ground. The snow fell during the night to the depth of ten inches, covering their beds, clothing, shoes and stockingss as they lay spread upon the ground. On 2 November 1838 Elizabeth and her family saw the Prophet Joseph Smith surrender himself to the mob, tricked by that traitor. Col. George M. Hinkle. They felt devastated! She, along with her family, heard the dreadful noise and confusion made by the mob the following night" (Taylor, P.G., p. 2). What courage she must have had to comfort her children at this time. From 30 October to 6 November the whole town was under siege by the Missouri militia. The Taylor family and the saints grew increasingly alarmed as the tension mounted. The events of the Battle of Crooked River, where one of the apostles, David Patten, was killed, Haun's Mill massacre, where many of the Saints were killed or injured, were the most difficult times they had ever experienced.

While these situations were occurring, some of the mob tried to persuade Elizabeth and William's daughters to go with them. They vowed that unless they did, the family would share the fate of all the saints in being destroyed. Elizabeth drove the mob away from the family camp fire with a poking stick. Five of the daughters chased by the mob had to run for their lives in very deep snow (Taylor, P.G., p. 2). Imagine the feelings of their mother, Elizabeth, seeing this happen. Undoubtedly, strong prayers to God for the daughters' protection and safe return were made by her and their family. By the time the girls returned from this frightful experience, their clothes were frozen to them and they almost died of frostbite. Elizabeth's motherly skills in sustaining them must have been a great comfort and given them the courage to live.

After the surrender of the city of Far West, William, Elizabeth and family returned to their farm on Long Creek. When they arrived, they found that about 7,000 of the armed mob had camped for two nights at or near their place, turning their horses into the corn field. The mob ate about 300 bushels of the Taylors' potatoes, 75 geese, 200 chickens, several head of cattle, 40 head of hogs and destroyed 20 stands of bees. They also burned about one mile of rail fence in camp fires. Elizabeth in spite of all this prepared food and carried it to the brethren who were prisoners at the Liberty Jail a few miles away.

On February 8, 1839 the family was expelled from their home on Long Creek in Caldwell County. They received an old neck yoke valued at $2.50 for 1000 bushels of corn in a crib and nothing for their farm and improvements. They journeyed about 200 miles in cold weather of snow, rain and mud. the people along the way were very unkind, often turning the hungry from their doors. An aged couple named Singleton lost their only horse on which they depended to move themselves and their few possessions. William unhitched one of his best horses and hitched it to the elderly genttleman's wagon, telling him to take it and go in peace. This aged couple were deeply grateful for his kindness. The support Elizabeth gave her husband is very heartwarming.

In September 1839 the family traveled toward Commerce, Illinois. (The question arises whether Elizabeth and her family stayed with her Patrick relatives in Monroe County or went with the saints to Quincy, Illinois, between February and September.) Having gone through Lima in Adams County, they were approaching Warsaw in Hancock County, Illinois. Elizabeth was really worried as William was so ill. On 9 September 1839 William called all his family about him. Elizabeth believed he was gong to die. His last words to them were that they should "rally around the Priesthood and the main body of the Church. He also secured a promise from each of his children that they would not marry outside of the Church" (Taylor, P.G., P.4). William had been so exhausted from all the persecutions and hardships the family had been through! He died of exposure and typhoid at age 52. Elizabeth and her family buried him on the main road about five miles from Lima and eight miles from Warsaw on Col. Levi Williams' land. Col. Williams was an avid Mormon& hater. He threatened to dig up William's body and give it to the hogs. Elizabeth asked her sons to gather logs and make a fence around the grave and keep watch to see that the body was not disturbed. Elizabeth thought her heart would break. Elizabeth was in her 46th year and had 11 unmarried children, the oldest 21 and the youngest 2 years old. They, along with her married children, supported and sustained one another.

One night after William's death, in Hancock County near Warsaw, a man by the name of Gilum came into camp and offered Elizabeth 40 acres of land if she would leave the Mormons and stay there. This was no temptation for her as she preferred to have a home among the Saints (Taylor, P.G., p. 4).

Shortly after William's death, her daughter Mary Ann married for a .second time in November 1838 to Jordan P. Hendrickson. She had been a widow for about five years. This surely eased Elizabeth's sorrow to see her daughter's happiness.

They must have moved back to Quincy for a few months, for she was found to be in the June 1840 Quincy, Pike County census. They were in Nauvoo that fall when two of her daughters were married, Elizabeth Ann to Samuel Driggs on 4 October 1840, and Louisa to Hosea Stout on 29 November 1840. By the time they reached Nauvoo they had been robbed repeatedly of their possessions until they were destitute. Not having the means to purchase a farm, they rented one from Winslow Farr and had a share of the crop. They continued to work on this place for three years.

These years were still a challenge for Elizabeth and her family, but filled with hope and more peace than in the past. In 1842 her 24 year old daughter Mary Ann died, leaving a one year old son Simeon and her husband Jordan. The Taylor family bought 1 1/2 acres of property in Nauvoo (lots 46, 47, 49) which lay 3/4 mile southeast of the Nauvoo Temple. Elizabeth kept busy sewing, cooking and many other tasks to keep her family sustained. Her children worked hard, even having to work for those who hated Mormons and issued threats against them, which frightened them. Elizabeth must have given them much love and taught them to have faith in God as they always rallied around her and spoke of her dearly. She was very concerned over an illness of one of her daughters while at Nauvoo. Pleasant Green, her teenage son, related: "Mother sent me to see if the Prophet Joseph Smith would come and administer to her. Not having the time right then, he sent a red silk handkerchief with his blessing and promised her that her daughter should get well. This promise was fulfilled for she was healed immediately" (Taylor, P. G., p. 6).

Elizabeth and her family were active in the affairs of the community of Nauvoo. She encouraged her sons to help build the temple. They also participated in the Nauvoo Legion and police force. She had sewing skills that were surely used to provide for the workers. Her generosity in providing food and comfort for those in need was an embedded part of her character. She was a witness to many of the tragedies and miracles that occurred at Nauvoo. More marriages occurred, Sarah Kendrick Best, age 20, to Thomas Dobson , 29 October 1843, and Joseph, age 19, to Mary Moore on 24 Mar 1844. In 1845 her youngest daughter Amanda became ill and died after an 11-day illness. She was 10 years old. This loss had a profound effect on Elizabeth and her whole family, for they loved Amanda dearly. Many of Elizabeth's children and posterity named their daughters after her.

Elizabeth was taken by her son Pleasant Green to the Carthage Jail after the death of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. Accompanied by her daughter Sarah and possibly Nancy Jane, they saw the blood on the floor. In Nauvoo she and her family observed the bodies being brought back. She mourned with all the other saints. Her son Pleasant Green was called out by Sheriff Jacob Backenstos to go to Warsaw and arrest those who killed the Prophet. What fear must have filled her heart! Her loneliness increased when her oldest son John and his family left for Texas with Lyman Wight's group that separated themselves from the main body of church members.

Work on the temple continued. She was a witness at the Bowery when Brigham Young gave his speech and all there thought it was Joseph Smith speaking. When the temple was completed, Elizabeth received her endowments on 20 December 1845 at age 52. She was sealed to William on 3 February 1846 at the Nauvoo Temple with James Allred as proxy for her husband and on that day was married for time only to James Allred. In all family records this marriage is never mentioned. Apparently they never lived together as husband and wife, although no record substantiates this.

All of her family took part in the exodus of crossing the Mississippi on the ice, gathering at Sugar Creek. Progress was slow, because roads and bridges had to be constructed along the way; they were only able to travel about three miles a day. After about a week they arrived at the Des Moines River. Their food consisted of parched corn and wild onions. However, the Lord sent a large flock of quail into their camp. Hundreds were gathered up and prepared as food, which was received with greateful hearts. The family traveled to Garden Grove, Mt. Pisgah, and Council Bluffs on the banks of the Missouri River in Iowa, and Winter Quarters across the Missouri in Nebraska. Elizabeth's family helped build cabins and fences and plant crops at these way stations. Her son Pleasant Green helped her to Council Bluffs in her wagon. She was happy to make him a suit of clothes for which he was most grateful. He wrote "What a kind and good mother she was." (Taylor, P. G., p. 8)

Pleasant Green married Clarissa Lake on 2 February 1847 at Mt. Pisgah. When the U.S. Army asked for volunteers on July 1846, she saw her two sons, Joseph and Pleasant Green, volunteer. Pleasant Green became ill and was not able to go, but Joseph did, leaving behind his young wife of two years and a one year old daughter. Elizabeth must have had a mixture of pride and sadness in seeing her son leave.

During the next two years, she stayed at Council Bluffs. Her immediate family now being William Warren, age 19, Levi, age 17, Nancy Jane, age 14, and James Caldwell, age 10. Elizabeth's youngest living daughter, Nancy Jane, met and fell in love with Jonathan Smith, a new member from Michigan. Jonathan must have made a good impression on Elizabeth, because she consented to their marriage, which took place on II July 1847 at Council Bluffs.

Decisions were made in the family concerning departure to the Rocky Mountains. Sarah Kendrick Best and her husband Thomas Dobson decided to stay in Iowa. (Ed. note: The Dobsons and Jordan Hendrickson obviously became disaffected from the Church because of the principle of polygamy. ) Louisa and Hosea Stout, Nancy Jane and Jonathan Smith, along with Jonathan's family, left with the Brigham Young pioneer company on 26 May 1848, arriving in Salt Lake City on 21 September. She bade them farewell and made her own preparations. Pleasant Green and Joseph (after his return from Mormon Battalion duty) worked hard and provided Elizabeth with her own wagon to travel in. Elizabeth, with her three remaining sons, William, Levi, and James, left for the Salt Lake Valley in her son Allen Taylor's company from Kanesville, Iowa, on 12 July 1849. Her wagon entered the Salt Lake Valley on 16 October 1849, Allen and his family having arrived on the 15th. Her children, Elizabeth Ann, Joseph and Pleasant Green and their families arrived in Salt Lake Valley on September 1850 and Julia Ann and her husband Isaac came in 1851. John and his family returned from Texas by way of Oklahoma in 1854. What a joyous occasion for Elizabeth!

Elizabeth lived in Salt Lake for a short time, then moved to Farmington with her three sons to be near her daughter Nancy Jane. Nancy's husband Jonathan was on a mission to Iron County. In the 1851 census Elizabeth was living in Kaysville with her daughters Nancy next door and Elizabeth Ann on Mountain Road. Her sons, Allen, Joseph and Pleasant Green lived close by, also. She purchased a farm in Kaysville and ran it with her sons' help.

On II January 1852 Louisa died in Salt Lake City of complications of childbirth, two days after her new baby died. Her husband was on a mission to China. Hosea was heartbroken and sent his children, Elizabeth Ann, age 5, Hosea, age 2 years 9 months, and Eli, age 16 months, to live with Louisa's mother for awhile. William Warren and Levi were married the same day, 23 July 1853, William to Julia Ann Carbine and Levi to Emeline Owen. This left James, age 16, in charge of his mother's farm. Elizabeth was now 60 years old and still in good health. They did well together for the next seven years. Her daughter Elizabeth Ann's husband died 16 Jan 1854 from inflammation of the lungs. Elizabeth again was there to strengthen her as best she could. Within a few months Elizabeth Ann had married John Criddle and was happy again.

In 1860, after James and Sarah Maria Hyde were married, they moved to Eden, Utah. Elizabeth stayed in Kaysville close to her other children, Levi and Elizabeth Ann. In 1870 census she was living with Levi. In 1872 she moved to Harrisville, Weber County, Utah to live with her other children. Here she lived in peace the rest of her life. Her grandchildren all loved their grandmother and they took turns seeing she had firewood, water and also all she needed. They loved to visit her and to hear her tell the stories of her life and of her people far away in Virginia and Kentucky. She apparently moved from home to home of her children during this time of her life. In 1880 she was living with Joseph in Farr West, Weber County, and with Pleasant Green in Harrisville when she died on 25 October 1880 a short time before her 87th birthday. She was buried in the Ogden City Cemetery. What a grand lady she was, revered and loved by all who knew her!

Compiled by Dana Lee Tueller Perkins Mikesell in 1996, to be submitted to the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers for inclusion in their book. Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude. (Minor editorial changes added. ) Dana utilized an impressive array of materials in preparation of this manuscript--18 biographies and books, 16 records, and 24 contributors' data. She cited two special sources in her notes:

1. Harrisville LDS Ward Record, Family History Ctr Film #0026012.

2. Taylor, Pleasant Green, "Autobiography of Pleasant Green Taylor". Copy in possession of Shari Humperies Franke, Ogden, UT.

A list of all sources is available from Brian L. Taylor, 1924 North 2000 West, Ogden, UT 84404.